Saturday, June 25, 2016

Cherry Berry Baked Oatmeal


Bring me your hungry, your hungover, your lazy, your busy moms, your health nuts. Everyone can gather around the table for a big warm bowl of this yumminess.

I love oatmeal, but I don't have time to stir it on the stovetop when I have a baby to tend to, and I don't own a microwave (seriously, I don't). Baked oats are the perfect cross between oatmeal and breakfast cereal, without any added nasties. You can serve it cold or warm, in a bowl or as a sort of soft oatmeal square. Personally, I like mine fresh out of the oven, hot with a drizzle of cold, creamy local milk (the milk from our local dairy is seriously delicious, and nothing like that which you get in a supermarket. If you can get milk from your local farmers market, seriously give that stuff a try. Liquid gold).

I can make a tray on the weekend, and it's the perfect brunch-y comfort food, and then keep the tray in the fridge (remember it has milk and eggs, so store it in the fridge!) to have cold with milk - like cereal - or in squares for the following few days.  With so many fruits and berries in season this time of year, the possibilities are endless, too.

Oh, and did I mention that it takes about 38 seconds to throw together?


The beauty of this recipe is not only in its simplicity, but also in that it has no added sugar. Nada. Only the berries.  But if you're like my hubby and you have a raging sweet tooth, a little drizzle of honey is positively perfect.





No comments:

Post a Comment