Thursday, June 9, 2016

Summer Veggie Pizza (I'm back!)


It's hot out. Like, uncharacteristically hot for the North of England. I have no idea why it's sunny and sweltering for the past two weeks, but I'm not going to question it because once it starts raining, I don't know when we'll see the sun again.

I apologise for the hiatus whilst we were moving, and then when we had to wait a week and a half to have wifi installed in the new house. But I'm super excited to be cooking with a gas stove and oven again for the first time in 2 years!!

If you can stand to turn on your oven, this simple weeknight recipe uses all of the veggies that are so plentiful this time of year and turns them into a fabulous feast. It's a guilt-free, no hassle dinner that basically only requires chopping up veggies, and possibly making pizza dough, if you can't buy it. If you're fortunate enough to live near a Trader Joe's (American readers only, sorry), I do recall that they had fresh pizza dough in the fridge. Shop the line - if it's there, you'll see it. But I digress...

I cheated. I did not make my pesto for the pizza sauce. Nope, straight out of a jar. But it's good quality pesto, no added nonsense, and its so yummy. Now, below are my ingredients in the order that I assembled them, since I can't really call this a "recipe" because its so easy. Remember, it's totally fun to improvise! Clean out the fridge and chuck it all on there. I used three cheeses to amp up the flavour, so that you don't need much at all. One ball of mozzarella spread evenly over three (personal-sized) pizzas, along with some grated Parmesan and a little bit of mature cheddar (trust me). Get creative! But remember, the better the quality of the ingredients, the less you need to do to them, so get out to the farmer's market and shop for what's in season.

Pizza dough 
*par bake the dough for 3-5 minutes, then remove from the oven, add toppings, and finish cooking*

Pesto
Courgette (zucchini)
Red onion
Spinach 
Tomato
Orange bell pepper
Spinach 
Mozzarella
Cheddar
Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper
Garlic powder
Italian dried herbs 


Bake until the edges of the crust are golden brown (you can use a spatula to lift the edge of the crust up and check the colour of the underside).

It's pizza time!!




No comments:

Post a Comment