Sunday, March 20, 2016

Wardrobe Hacks: Breastfeeding

I. Love. To. Wear. Dresses.

And now I've come to terms with the fact that most of my favourite wardrobe items have to be retired for at least six months, because they're not breastfeeding-compatible. Why oh why is life so cruel?

It's been a learning curve, which started with my hysterical sobbing with a two-week old baby that I couldn't wear any of my existing clothes, except for maternity leggings, yoga pants, and the two nursing tank tops my mom had sent me. 
But as the baby weight gradually began to fall off, and I started having the energy to actually get dressed every day, I learned a few ways to bend my existing wardrobe to make it breastfeeding-friendly. 

Unfortunately, a massive heap of dresses did have to go into storage, but I know I'll see them again before the year is up. Save another rant for another day, but I found the same issues I had with buying maternity clothing in the UK applied to nursing clothes as well: high street shops don't stock it, and most of it that does exist is poor quality, horizontal stripe t-shirts and outdated designs. If anyone reading this has millions of pounds (or dollars) that they'd like to invest, there's a huge gap in the maternity clothing market in this country that I'd love to tap into. But I digress...

I've only needed to buy a handful of new wardrobe items so far, so here are some of my favourite nursing outfits to our together, without busting the bank on (not-so-attractive) "nursing" clothing. 

Shirt Dresses
Button-down styles are a breeze to nurse in. Even half-button-down will do the trick (just try on and "test" how far they button down). I found a chambray one at TK Maxx that I love; the relaxed fit is pretty forgiving of new-mummy-tummy, and if can be belted once your waistline reappears. Here are a couple of others that I love:
Sleeveless Shirt Dress, H&M, £14.99

Denim Shirt Dress, Next, £28
Belted Shirt Dress, M&S, £55



Wrap Dresses
Universally flattering on almost every body type, wrap dresses can be so easy to breastfeed in. Look for true wrap dresses (not faux wraps) and fabric that has a bit of stretch in it.
Khaki Wrap Dress, House of Fraser, £30

Marrakesh Jersey Wrap Dress, East, £79
Overalls
This came to me the other day as a sort of revelation: Overalls are perfect for breastfeeding! Just un-snap one side (or both), and you're good to go! I have a couple of pairs of vintage corduroy ones, as well as some cute denim overall dresses. 
Brooklyn Dungaree Dress, Oasis,  £48
Bandeau Dresses
Even though spring has just sprung, stores are already beginning to stock some summer dresses. Bandeau dresses, with their stretchy, elastic tube tops, are perfect for pulling down to feed. 

Camie Printed Bandeau Dress, Monsoon, £39

I hope this post helps if you have any worries about your post-baby wardrobe! It's been a learning curve, and I feel like I'm just beginning to get the hang of getting fully dressed each day, with the help of some of the clothes I've mentioned above. Let me know in the comments if you have any more tips for building a breastfeeding-friendly wardrobe!



No comments:

Post a Comment